What are some signs of a good Christian dating relationship? What qualities would you look for in the “right one” for you as a Christian single? Generally, the following list of signs should be present in your Christian dating partner if you are considering a lifelong commitment in marriage.
Good Christian Dating Relationships
- Your dating interest (we assume he or she is a Christian) is growing more and more in love with Jesus. Just as important, he/she has not caused you to stumble sexually, but has also had a positive spiritual influence on you.
- He or she has a good sense of humor. Why is this important? Life is full of valleys and tribulations, but a good sense of humor will help keep things in perspective. People who can see humor in their circumstances generally have a cheerful outlook on life, which is very important to a successful relationship. Proverbs 17:22 states “A merry heart does good like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones.”
- He or she respects your feelings, needs, interests and dreams. They are not “control freaks” or overly possessive, but give you the personal space to succeed by being your own person.
- He or she is able to converse and be vulnerable with you. This means being able to be intimate and communicate on the heart level. They can honestly share true feelings, whether they be positive or negative.
- Your guy or gal possesses good conflict resolution skills, and knows how to argueconstructively.
- Your dating partner has loving relationships with their family members and friends. Watch how they treat those closest to them, beacause this is how they will most likely begin treating you.
Of course, the above is not an exhaustive list of good signs to look for in your Christian dating relationship partner. If you can think of any other positive dating relationship qualities, please consider helping other singles by sharing your views.
- Your single friend is financially stable. This does not mean they need to be a millionaire, but they should be able to support themselves.
- Your dating partner is “over” their past dating relationship. If they are constantly bringing up the “ex”, you can assume this is not the case.
- They take care of themselves physically and emotionally.
- They have a good relationship with your parents and friends. Note: If your parents and closest Christian friends feel something is wrong with the dating relationship, proceed with great caution.